Looking For A Lunch Buddy In Terrebonne

After graduation, he cost the military. In one of his last designers before he free Houma, Rev. Other the storm, people could be embarked accessibility the parish Ora, Rita's sister, later unblocked to school in Cookies and became a missionary herself. Restricts Meg was an R. Lot was free to Houma. As Essays Kagey on, it was necessary to process them how to find better websites, but "each contact is an offering to teach Jesus Frank.

There were 9 Sunday Schools in the Mission with members. The first women's group, the Women's Home Mission Society, was formed this year with 18 members.

Missing boater found, buddy's body discovered after boat sinks

The Mission Board was still supporting the Houma Mission. Moving the fire-fighting equipment in and out of the Hook and Ladder Hall became bothersome. Breithaupt rented a room on Main Street. It is known that the Opera House was sometimes used. The Opera House was a two storied building with a six-sided tower on the southeast corner. It was built in by the volunteer fire department. They stored fire fighting equipment downstairs. There was a bell in the tower to ring in case of fire. The post office was also located downstairs. Speeches, stage shows, and dramas were presented on stage. It served as a movie house for early silent movies. Someone, such as Mrs. Daisy Ray, would play the piano during the movies.

The Opera House was torn down in to build a post office. A restaurant occupies the old post office today. Harbin came to Houma to preach for two weeks in March. One of his services, for men only, was held at the Opera House with an attendance of between and men. Considering there are only about 60 Protestant men in this entire city of 6, the turnout was impressive. Harbin preached on "A Man Wanted. Everyone in town knows that the same hall where we hold our services is a good place to find spiritual joy as well as earthly pleasure. Still, using the Opera House meant sharing the room with other functions.

Breithaupt rented a room elsewhere on Main Street. It was on the third floor in a building that now holds a business called Palais Royale. This third floor has Women who wanna fuck in liechtenstein burned down. There was a large room in which the services were conducted. People sat on benches. Breithaupt kept his gym equipment He would invite the boys to work out with him. But, he wouldn't preach to them at these exercise sessions. Still, the priest got upset with the Catholic boys for mingling with that "Protestant" preacher. When the church later moved to the Masson house, the gym equipment was set up there.

Getting these people to switch from Catholicism to Methodism is not as simple as switching between two Protestant religions. The Catholic religion has been with these people since they came to this country. It is a part of their culture. Breithaupt said that you don't build up Methodism by cutting down Catholicism. Breithaupt noted that the Methodists' job was to "preach the simple story of Jesus and his love, the awfulness of sin, the power of God to save; you do not have to spend your time condemning Romanism Breithaupt wrote to the Advocate in about the lack of education in the pulpit.

He felt that since people were becoming more educated, an uneducated preacher was doing them a disservice. He felt that some of the congregation could feed him spiritually. Hebert went down to the Bayou Blue church to help Rev. Martin with a four day meeting in March. Ten people joined the church and the "entire congregation was greatly revived. Martin noted at the time that he needs some sort of transportation to travel the great distances Looking for a lunch buddy in terrebonne thecircuit. His salary is so small that he cannot even afford to buy a pony.

Houma's first deaconess, Miss Eliza Iles, was sent to work in Houma and surrounding areas in She often assisted Rev. Martin in his rounds. The role of the deaconess was to organize clubs and classes and to do the house-to-house visiting. They were able to Fuck my wife in sfintu-gheorghe many people that the pastor could not get to. Miss Iles was an attractive woman with a pleasant, outgoing personality. She served the area untilwhen she was replaced by Miss Kate Walker. Miss Iles later became a missionary to Africa. The official position of deaconess had been established at the end of the 19th century.

To be a deaconess, a woman had to complete the proper training and be certified by the Woman's Board of Home Missions. She would receive a one month vacation each year. The official "uniform" for a deaconess consisted of a black dress, a bonnet with white lawn ties, and a white turnover collar and cuffs. It was necessary for the deaconess to pursue a continuous course of study and reading. By the end ofRev. Breithaupt had received 55 new members since the last conference. Martin had been working in October, he received 14 new members there and 3 more nearby. At the beginning of November, Rev. Booth came by to help with a meeting in Houma.

Breithaupt noted that almost all of the new converts were formerly Women seeking men in san cristobal. The records show three churches in the Houma Mission charge. The seven Sunday Schools now have members and 21 teachers. The Woman's Home Society had 22 members. The first youth groups were formed in The Sunday schedule at this time consisted of Sunday School at 10 a. A meeting was held in April that lasted for two weeks.

The services were conducted by Rev. Hebert came down to preach for six of the days. On a typical night, Rev. Breithaupt said, seven people joined the church. The progress in the French Mission field was not going unnoticed. InMartin Hebert and C. Breithaupt were commended for their labors Hebert for his work as a French missionary and Breithaupt for completing six years as pastor of the Looking for a lunch buddy in terrebonne in Houma. After visiting the area, Dr. Rawlings Education Secretary for the General Board wrote "In our whole church, there seems to me no work more important or more promising than the work being done in the Houma Mission.

MacDonell, in a letter to Rev. Breithaupt, wrote of the Houma Mission The workers in Houma decided that they needed some sort of social activity. It was held at a Mr. Fifty young people were in attendance. The social started off with singing hymns. Then they enjoyed several games, such as a needle threading and sewing contest and mock fortune-telling. Popcorn pralines were served for the snack. Miss Eliza Iles told the story of Ruth. The evening ended with more singing of hymns, this time in French. On July 22,the church bought a piece of property 80' by ' on the southeast corner of Goode St. Pullen, and Robert B. Masson had purchased this lot from Elizagone Duplantis inwho had purchased it from Miss Marie Boudreaux inwho had purchased it from Mrs.

Marie Barnardo inwho had purchased it in from the widow of Sidney M. The house on the property was used as a church for the next seven years. Evidently it was painted green, because it was known as the "Little Green Church. Rooms in the back of the house were used for offices and a kitchen. It seems as though the Methodists always needed a kitchen. Breithaupt wrote to the Advocate to impress the need of the Houma Mission. He also thanked the Women's Board for providing a parsonage. Breithaupt were five exhorters and a local preacher. But this still wasn't enough. Martin could preach full time. Breithaupt stated that the best revival Houma ever had took place in April of Vaughan of Franklin, La.

There were nineteen accessions, a number of reclamations, and a spiritual quickening of the church. After the meeting was over, Rev. Breithaupt was joined by Rev. Louis Hoffpauir for two weeks of preaching in the field. Hebert also came down for a few days in April. Martin mentioned later in that he had received seventeen new members into the church at Bayou Blue. He also reminded everyone of the problems of a local pastor. He had to farm for six days out of the week to provide for his family. Then on Sundays, he had to provide for everyone else spiritually. The poor crops of the last three years had hurt both his and thechurch's finances. The presiding elder of the Lafayette District, J.

Hoffpauir, stated that the French Mission, under the leadership of Rev. Breithaupt, was developing more rapidly than at any time in its history. A storm at the end of September destroyed the only Methodist church in the area, at Bayou Blue. This was the building that had been blown down inbut was rebuilt. Anatole Martin and Rev. Robert Martin were in a meeting nine miles below Lockport when the storm hit. No one was hurt. There were twenty to thirty members in that area. All twenty-five members of the church in Fayport lost their homes. The twenty-six members in the Raceland area fared better, though the wind did a lot of damage. Although loss of life was small, the property damage was immense.

Anatole Martin received six members into the church at Fayport on Sept. Fayport was a community located between Bayou Blue and Lockport. As of October 4, Rev. Martin had received seventy people into the church. Breithaupt wrote about the area at this time. The bayou stretches out for eighty miles with one front yard touching the other, the entire distance broken by only two plantations on the right descending bank of Lafourche. And the Southern Methodist Church is the only Protestant Church now operating in the immediate locality. Breithaupt received his last appointment to the Houma Mission. Martin was appointed to the Lafourche mission for the third year.

Fulton Starnes was appointed to assist Rev. Martin as a local preacher. He came to south Louisiana from North Carolina. The journal stated that there was only one church in the charge. One other church at Bayou Blue had been destroyed that year. In one of his last letters before he left Houma, Rev. Breithaupt mentions that the revivals over the past seven years assisted by the likes of Rev. Snelling have touched more hearts than any he has ever seen. People who would have never darkened the doors of a church were now attending services. So why would Rev. Breithaupt, so successful in the French Mission, leave Houma in before the appointment year was up?

It seems as though his mother-in-law in Alexandria had developed a brain tumor. His father-in-law asked Margaretta to return home. That is why Rev. Breithaupt asked to leave Houma and beplaced in Alexandria. Coleman, who had been appointed to pastor a church in Alexandria. Bishop Atkins was asked to appoint Rev. Breithaupt to immediately fill the position of Sunday School Field Secretary. Breithaupt accepted the position and moved to Alexandria. Deaconess Kate Walker, who had replaced Miss Iles inwas still serving as a pastor's assistant when Rev. Martin Hebert was appointed to fill in the remainder of Rev. Since he lived so far away, Miss Walker handled things at the Houma church when Rev.

Hebert couldn't make it to town. In the Woman's Missionary Council's report, Miss Walker noted that a reconstruction of the French work in the area was necessary. Miss Walker noted that Rev. Breithaupt would be missed, for they had really depended on his leadership. There were a few volunteers from the Missionary Society, but they never stayed very long. In a letter written inMiss Walker lamented over the work needed to be done. She noted that the Catholics had been taught from infancy to avoid other Churches as they would sin.

The people would not come to the Methodists Walker herself left the area indue to ill health, and was replaced by Miss Hooper and Mrs. In May,Rev. Martin, writing from Raceland, tells the Advocate that he now had six preaching places. He was joined recently by Rev. Another preacher had visited with him a couple of weeks before. In both cases, they tried to conduct services in English and were met with contempt. He emphasized the need for pastors who spoke their French language. He had ten accessions of former Catholics this year. He noted the need for these people to find the way of salvation. The first step was to get French Bibles in their hands, followed by someone to help them understand it.

Later that summer, Rev. Martin wrote again to inform the Advocate that Rev. Martin Hebert had held a revival at Raceland Prairie. There were seven accessions. Hebert was a great asset, since he could preach in both French and English. It was said that he preached "great sermons, accompanied with the power of the Holy Spirit. Morgan was appointed to Houma. The Lafourche Mission was left to be supplied by A. Morgan was born in Indian Bayou on August 28, He married Edith Hoffpauir in and had two sons. He joined the Louisiana Conference in He spent the greatest amount of time serving the Jonesboro charge. He only spent one year in Houma. This was possible due to his health; he had an asthmatic condition.

But he never lost his smile or his gentle, unselfish nature. It was said that people saw the "image of Christ" reflected in his life. He had a quiet, but forceful personality. His sermons were strong and scholarly. He passed away on June 21, Morgan wrote to the Advocate to update everyone on the Houma mission. An Easter revival, lasting two weeks, had just been completed. Wade Cudd of Baton Rouge preached two sermons a day for ten days. Hebert also came to preach three sermons. Morgan himself preached five times. Though there was a small number of accessions and conversions, the spiritual life of the church was renewed.

Morgan noted the similarity of this field to a foreign mission field. The people spoke a different language, had many superstitions, lacked education, and were pressured by another religion Catholicism. Still, the Methodist church was making progress. There were now seventy members within reach of the church. The Sunday School, under the leadership of Dr. The Wesley Bible Class had twenty members and was also growing. Houma had an active Women's Missionary Society with sixteen members. The women paid their tithes and were quite willing to lead in public prayer. A Senior Epworth League in May. The Houma charge had recently held its first quarterly meeting under presiding elder, Rev. It was noted that the greatest need for the Houma congregation was a good church building.

They had been using the old Masson home as a church, but they were trying to raise funds for a new building. The year brought an important person back to Terrebonne Parish. The Woman's Home Mission Society was formed in It sought to reach the home mission fields that may have been overlooked in lieu of the foreign field. It helped to open several training schools for women. The official position of deaconess was established. The major goal of the Society, as stated in the 's, was to educate the poor and unchurched. Their concern for the home mission field in Louisiana also led them to send Miss Ella Hooper and Mrs. Laura White to Houma. Due to the lack of a school or church and the frequent flooding, her family moved to Rosedale, Louisiana in Her grandfather was Rev.

Samuel Hawes, who had pastored the Thibodaux church in the 's and had preached in Terrebonne Parish on occasion. Since Rosedale only had a one-room school, most of Miss Hooper's elementary education was by home study. At the age of sixteen, she enrolled at the Louisiana State Normal School. When she graduated inshe received her teaching certificate and taught at the local school for two years. But Miss Hooper's heart was set on mission work. Her friend and relative, Mrs. Christian Keener, aided her financially and encouraged her in her quest. After only one year at Scarritt, Miss Hooper had to drop out due to ill health. She had always dreamed of traveling to Africa or some other foreign land to work as a missionary, but she was rejected because of her poor eyesight and fragile nature.

So, she applied for a job with the Louisiana state school superintendent. She told him, "I want to go to the place where the people are the poorest and most illiterate, where I can teach them from the books and where I can talk to them about their souls. Miss Hooper stayed with a local family when she first arrived in Houma. When the lady of the house met Miss Hooper, the first thing she asked was "What church do you belong to? The interpreter was a matronly woman who had "a smile that angels must wear. She realized that the people were in need of a Christian industrial school. With the permission of the parents, she began reading stories from the Bible on Sundays and established the first Sunday Bible school groups in the area.

After teaching in Terrebonne Parish for three years, she left the area and returned to her hometown of Rosedale for several years to regain her health. She then went to study at the University of Chicago. Upon completion of courses at the university, she again applied to Mrs. MacDonell of the Mission Board for a position where she could teach poor children. She was willing to work for no pay. Miss Hooper was such a fine teacher that they insisted on paying her a salary. It is at this mountain school that she met and befriended Laura White, who was working as a secretary at the school. It was ; Ella Hooper had not seen Terrebonne for five years, but she had not forgotten the French and Indian children of south Louisiana.

She shared her dream, of returning to Louisiana and starting a mission school of her own, with Mrs. White said, "Wherever you go, I want to go with you. After they finished praying, Miss Hooper wrote a letter to Mrs. MacDonell asking to be assigned to south Louisiana. Their prayers were answered two days later. Miss Walker, the deaconess assigned to Houma, had just resigned due to ill health. They were invited to take her place. They were instructed to "look over the entire field and plan the work most needed. Tochie MacDonell was the general secretary of the Woman's Council at this time. MacDonell, a Georgian born into a prominent family, was married to a Methodist minister.

She had accompanied him as a missionary to Mexico years earlier. She felt a special burden to address the home mission field. MacDonell was connected with the Mission Board for over twenty-five years. She defined the scope and aim of the Woman's Home Mission Society as "serving humanity, building character, and saving souls. MacDonell believed that the Woman's HomeMission Society was an "expression of the Church of that faith in religion as a social force which makes possible the accomplishment of the ideal community where men are truly neighbors and love each other as themselves.

They found four churches in the area. Miss Hooper and Mrs. White decided on Houma as the center of operations for the French work because of its central location. In October, they rented a small house on High St. The first two girls were Lucide and Maggie Martin, daughters of Rev. They were soon joined by Anaize Martin and Elizabeth Thompson. One of these girls, Mrs. Maggie Martin Bergeron, later lived and taught at the school for a number of years. After only a couple of months at their new home, they had received over guests. Miss Hooper was tall and frail. She was highly educated and "full of zeal White, a widow, was quite different. She was a patient woman with a larger frame.

She loved to teach the Bible They set about their work of conducting Sunday school classes, clubs, missionary societies, and other inspirational meetings among the women and children. Since the meeting places were scattered about Terrebonne and Lafourche Parishes, the women arranged to obtain a Ford automobile before the end of the year. As the Council Journal stated, "a great door is open in this section of the country. It usually left the school on Sunday mornings loaded with packages of clothing from Missionary Societies from Louisiana and other states. The clothes were sold very cheaply or given away.

She also brought books, magazines, pictures for children, candy, emergency supplies, and the class materials for lessons. Often guests especially an interpreter would accompany the ladies. If not, someone was usually picked up on the way and given a ride. The first stop would be at Bayou Blue. After morning services, an hour of fellowship, and lunch, they would head down the bayou fifteen miles to the next stop. After the second meeting, they would head back to Houma in time for the Epworth League meeting and the evening worship service. White would teach Bible classes. On Thursdays and Fridays, the women would travel to missionary auxiliary meetings, Americanization classes, and friendly visits around the area.

In the summers, they would stay out in the field for two weeks at a time. They would hold Bible meetings, cottage prayer meetings, social meetings, and missionary meetings. They wouldalso engage itinerating evangelistic tours lasting three days.

Miss Hooper would hold Bible lessons and teach the children to read and write. For those that couldn't read, she held up pictures. She tried to teach them new hymns in English. After a while, they could sing them, but they didn't really know what they were singing until they learned English. If she was visiting people who only spoke French, she might bring an interpreter with her. August was the month for "institutes. They often took field trips to area businesses. The purpose of the institute was to teach the boys the fundamentals of physical, intellectual, spiritual, and social development.

Girls also had institutes, often called House Parties. Six to ten girls were invited to the house to learn sewing, cooking, and other homemaking skills. The week also included singing lessons and Bible study. Did you ever attend a House Party? A real house party, for a whole week when everything was done for the pleasure of you and your friends? If you have, you may be able to appreciate how happy the thirty-two little girls who attended the Wesley House Party at Houma, La. Early in the spring Miss Hooper invited me to be present. I went with her on June 25 to Sunday school at Point aux Chene.

This in itself was an intereesting experience, but not to be compared with the interest which began there and which continued through the week. After Sunday school the girls began to climb into the Missionary Ford. Need I say that many people turned to watch as we passed by? The Ford seemed to be as happy as any member of the party, however, and, singing its little song, brought us to the Wesley House, with its great yard, shaded by beautiful oaks hung with moss. In the back yard the big tent was all ready for us with its beds covered with white bars.

Although the party was to begin on Monday night, we had twenty girls Sunday night. Not one minute of the time were they willing to miss. Monday we had only a few classes, giving the children time to get acquainted and to play. On Tuesday morning work began in earnest. Breakfast was at 7, and at 8 we hadour morning prayer service. These folds were made into a scrap book on the last day. From 10 to At 11 we studied or practiced for the entertainment which was given in the church on Friday night. At 4 each girl was sent to her cot for 15 minutes of quiet and then Looking for a lunch buddy in terrebonne were allowed to dress for the evening. At 8 we sang songs, closing with our good-night prayer at 8: So the days of the House Party were spent.

But what would a House Party be without "three meals a day. White, assisted by Millie, saw that this part of the day's program was successfully carried out. Never once did the girls hesitate to "Take a Stand," and great was their delight when Millie led "When the Saints go Marching Home" and other songs sung only as a fine old negro mammy can sing them. Aside from the regular work, every girl knew the Twenty-third Psalm before the week was over. About one-third of them had learned the th Psalm. Nine knew the first twelve verses of John They also learned five memory texts, between eight and twelve songs and memorized two little missionary plays for their entertainment.

Each girl made a handkerchief in sewing class and some did other sewing. These girls, many of them, have had none or very little schooling. Many of them never hear a word of English in their homes. To watch them as they associated with the other children, as they comprehended and then accomplished the task given them, made you think of the opening of a beautiful flower when the warm morning ray of the sun touched it and brought it into its beauty. I wish that the wonderful work which Miss Hooper and her helpers are doing might be seen by many and known by all of our people. Surely the poet meant such work as here when he said, "Who gives himself with his alms feeds three: Knight, and Edgar Dufrene.

By the end ofthe ladies were still hard at work. Besides the Sunday school classes, they were holding Bible classes, a family class, a four day institute, and a teacher training class for Bible memory. At the beginning of the year, very few people owned Bibles. Over the past twelve months, overtwo dozen Bibles had been distributed by the ladies. Of course, less than five percent of the adults in the rural areas can read or write in French or in English. They found the public school doing an adequate job, as they had been told. But, they were very overcrowded; and they didn't touch the religious needs of the people. On March 21,a meeting was held at the "Methodist Mission Hall," as the newspaper called it, to discuss the possibility of opening a Christian Industrial School for Girls in Houma.

Representatives of the three Protestant religions, including the pastors, were at the meeting. All were in agreement that such a school would be a good idea. White had long admired the Gagne house on East Main Street. It was built probably by the Dunn family and inherited by Sarah Dunn Gagne. They thought it would be an ideal place to have a school. Miss Hooper once remarked to Mrs. White, "That is an ideal place for our school. Let us ask God to help us get it. MacDonell to see if the Board could buy it. The money wasn't readily available, and someone else bought it. But, after only four days, the new owner Mr. Adam Boquet and his family packed up their belongings and headed back to his farm.

It is said that they were haunted by the ghost of Mrs. The property was for sale again. Desire Bergeron stayed in the house later, he found out that the strange noises were caused by squirrels dropping pecans down the gutters. It is said that God works in mysterious ways I guess he sometimes even uses squirrels. McCoy, Administrative Secretary of the Eastern Division of the Women's Missionary Council, purchased the land eighteen acres with one house the Gagne home on the property. It is said that when Mrs. Sarah Gagne, lived in the home years before, she hoped that her home would go to the church to be used for the education of poor children.

Her great-grandson noted that she had been a devout Methodist. She left many books on religion among her effects. An oak tree on the property was named after her by Miss Hooper. Gagne's dream finally came true. The home was now called Wesley House. Wesley Houses were homes sponsored by the Methodist Church that took in young girls and helped to raise them in a Christian manner. Martin moved the furniture from the rented house on High St. There were five girls living at the home at this time. George LaGrange, his wife, and child also lived at the home while he prepared for work in the church.

White wrote to the New Orleans Christian Advocate to inform everyone that the Wesley House in Houma was now open and would welcome guests. Miss Hooper's life-long dream of reaching the French and Indians was now within reach. The mission field was divided into two areas. One area, with Bourg at the center, was covered by Miss Hooper. The other area, with Raceland and Lockport as the center, was covered by Mrs. Within a year, Sunday schools, and Epworth League, and a Woman's Missionary Society had been organized in these locations.

Realizing that the MacDonell School relied on the support of the Conference, she made sure that everyone knew of their activities. She also encouraged guests to come for a visit, to see firsthand the good work being done. The year was the year that Miss Hooper finally became a deaconess. Over the years, she had kept up her education during her vacation periods But, she could still not pass the physical requirements for deaconess. The Council decided in to appoint her a deaconess without the formality of passing the physical requirements. In February ofMiss Hooper again wrote to the Advocate. She noted that Miss Griffin, the new homemaker, had just arrived. The annual report statistics were as follows: In October ofshe wrote of the arrival of Miss Moselle Eubanks to the staff.

George Elms HoumaMrs. Warren HoumaMr. James Grambling ShreveportRev. Duplantis Ville Platteand Mr. Ora, Ella's sister, later went to school in Alabama and became a missionary herself. McCoy had visited them and travelled around to various country points. The ladies worked hard at filling the Cradle Rolls. They reached fifty homes by the end of the year. Dignitaries from around the state, including Bishop W. McMurry were in attendance. After a program at the Wesley House, the crowd walked to the Mission Hall as the church was called in downtown Houma to hear the Bishop preach. I had ordered a salmon tartar, which was fine but way too warm.

Tartar shouldn't be cold, but cool is warranted. While we were having our entrees, the waitress brought us the bottle of wine, and in a blink of an eye had the bottle open and poured in the decanter. Now I'm asking myself, she, is a green waitress No presenting the bottle to the customer, no popping the cork and handing it over to the client, no taste test, nothing. But I took a sip once she had poured the wine, figured it was good and the waitress was really putting an effort in trying to please, that I didn't make anything of it.

We then received our main course. Girlfriend ordered fish, which came with vegetables. Both were bathing in oil. For my part, I had ordered a fillet mignon to be cooked medium rare. I took the fork and knife to the meat, and noticed it was blue! I was actually surprised it didn't put out a yelp when I poked it with the fork. At this point I asked the waitress to please have the meat cooked to medium rare, to which she proceeded to do. Meanwhile my girlfriend forcibly ate what she could stomach from the oily and greasy meal. By the time I received the filet, my girlfriend had finished her meal and I hadn't started mine yet.

The waitress then asked me the the cook wanted her to ask me to cut the filet in front of her and confirm that it had been cooked right. Oh, I forgot to mention, we had left the utensils in our entree dishes once we had finished, the waitress indly removed the utensils from our dishes with some food still on them and replaced them on the table.

« 193 194 195 196 197 »